Friday, June 7, 2013

Continuing to Learn New Things

Here is another post written by Kelly.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After we had our morning classes on Tuesday, Erica and I got a Thai massage.  It was wonderful!  I have only ever had a Swedish massage before and this Thai massage was very different.  The best way to describe it is as an active massage.  They did a lot of stretching and manipulation.  The Thai’s also don’t possess the concept of a personal bubble, so the masseuse had no problems getting up on the table with me and using her hands, elbows, and feet throughout the massage.  They were very thorough and worked on all my problems areas.  I felt so relaxed afterwards; it was very nice.  They were even able to get my neck all better as it had been messed up from our marathon of a plane ride to get to Thailand.  I would definitely go back!
 
 

            
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That afternoon Tim in our Thai lesson how to spell our names in Thai.  So, Kelly in Thai looks like this:
เคลลี่
I’m glad I learned my name, at least now I can read something in Thai.  I found it interesting that the letter for K isn’t the first symbol in my name in Thai.  The first symbol is actually for the sound A, then K and two Ls with the Y hanging out above the last L.  It is strange to me, but it works and looks really cool!  Tim also went over with us some cultural comparisons between America and Thailand. 

We had our after school English camp again today.  I taught and played Pictionary with my group.  They really got into it.  The kids here seem so artistic; maybe having writing class to make all their caricatures correctly helps.  I am glad we are doing the English camp as it allows me to have more informal and personal interactions with both students and teachers.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment